AMC Stock as well as many other ‘MEME Stocks’ have been heavily targeted and heavily shorted over the past several months. AMC specifically was heading towards destruction during the lockdowns as liquidity was drying up due to lockdowns and massive, short positions were opened against the company and stock. As CEO Adam Aron said below “because retail investors embraced us and let us raise boatloads of cash. Thank you to retail! You really did save AMC.”
Since the retail community came together and bought shares of the popular theater chain there has been many trials and tribulations for the stock and its investors. The retail community who owns around 90% of ALL shares of AMC Stock are fed up with the current market structure and lack of oversight as well as market manipulation which takes place.
Here’s a master list of some of the issue the AMC Stock retail investors have uncovered and want more oversight and or changed in the public markets all together.
- SEC Rule 203(a)(4)
- Payment for order flow (banned or revamped)
- Overall Transparency in public markets
- More frequent Institutional filings (for more transparency)
- Naked Shorting
- Short and Distort campaigns
- Mainstream media having ties to financial companies
- Algorithm trading
- Short ETF (Like the ones shorting single name stocks or ETFs)
- Dark pool trading
- Abusive shorting of a single company
- Fails to deliver
- Option trading
- FUD Media
- “Glitches” showing different prices on brokerages
These are just a few of the many issues related to what retail deals with on a daily basis in the public markets. The SEC is supposed to be fighting for retail and that’s not how many of the retail investors feel like is going on.